Friday, August 26, 2016

Adding Smog to Kiddieland



I brought my sketch easel to the edge of Kiddieland at the county fair on Tuesday. 


I used a limited palette of gouache—Prussian blue, carmine red, raw sienna, and white. The scene had a lot of blue in it, so I started with a step in the opposite direction: a warm underpainting in raw sienna. 

What I didn't like about the scene was that the air seemed too crisp and clear. I actually like a bit of smog and haze when I'm painting. It adds so much more depth and mystery. So I added some atmosphere by lightening the sky, the far tree, and the tall blue tent. 

In the video you can see that I restated them a couple of times. I also added a little white chalk at the end to add to the feeling of glare.

5 comments:

MarionNZ said...

Hi James,
I bought your "gouache in the wild" and it got ne started.i'm enjoying gouache very much...Now, I was wondering what differences there are between permanent white, titanium white and zinc white (winsor and newton preferly). Can you help me there? Did you run some test about these different pigments? I would be interested by your conclusions. Anyway, it's always a delight to read your blog and watch your outdoors videos, very helpful for a beginner like me:))) thank you for sharing. Best regards, Marion from New Zealand

James Gurney said...

Marion, Permanent white (in W/N gouache at least) is really Titanium white, but sometimes it refers to a white that's a combination of Titanium and Zinc. Although I haven't done methodical tests, I've used them both, and my impression is that Titanium tends to be a bit more opaque than Zinc and Zinc is very nice in tints. I'd suggest experimenting with them and see what works best for you.

Carlos said...

Hi James,
I was able to get some Richeson Casein mainly for priming after seeing your videos. I notice that it can get quite transparent when diluted with water, and a bit too thick straight out of the tube, which makes it harder to apply evenly. Do you have any tips on using it for priming? How many layers do you use? Thanks, Carlos

James Gurney said...

Hi, Carlos, if you just add a little water until it flows evenly, you can get a nice opaque casein layer that's neither too thick nor too thin.

MarionNZ said...

Hi James, Marion here.
Thanks for your answer. I appreciate your help.Best regards M