Sunday, January 6, 2013

Exhibitions and Events

I'd like to announce some upcoming exhibitions and events that I'll be participating in.

An exhibition of 25 paintings called "Dinotopia: The Fantastical Art of James Gurney" will be on view next month at the New Hampshire Institute of Art . The exhibition will include Dinosaur Parade, Garden of Hope, Dinosaur Boulevard and many other classic images. It will be up for just three weeks, from Wednesday, February 20 through Wednesday, March 13, 2013. The opening at 5:00 on February 20 is free and everyone is invited. I'll be presenting an illustrated lecture about the making of Dinotopia at 6:30 pm that evening. The cost to attend the lecture is $20, and there will be a book signing afterward. More at New Hampshire Institute of Art
-------------
    --------------

      From April 10-14 I'll be one of the featured guests at the 2nd Annual Plein Air Convention and Expo in Monterey, California. I'll be doing a talk on composition, as well as painting in oil outdoors in the picturesque environs, alongside the rest of the faculty and participants. It's a great opportunity for shop talk while practicing in the field.
      ------------

      Later in April, over the weekend of the 25th, I will be one of the guests at the Art of the Portrait Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. This event brings together many of the top portrait artists from around the world, painting side by side from live models and explaining their process. My lecture will will be about drawing portraits "in the wild" from candid models, and I'll be on a panel talking about blogging. (Photo Charles Walls) 
      -----------


    In June I will be one of the guests for a couple of days at Illustration Master Class in Amherst Massachusetts. The spaces are filled for this year, but there is a wait list.
    ------------
And finally, don't miss the museum exhibit currently on view through February 2 at the Lyman Allyn Art Museum in New London, Connecticut. It's called "Dinotopia: Art, Science, and Imagination," with over 100 pieces of original Dinotopia art, maquettes, and fossils. It's completely different from the "Fantastical Art" show, so if you see one show, the other will have entirely different surprises.


7 comments:

Tom Hart said...

Congrats and good luck on all of these upcoming events. I was particularly pleased to see that John Stobart is a participant in the CA event. I wasn't sure how active he is/was. I owe him a great debt from his PBS Worldscape series. It's what turned me on to - and served to demystify - plein air and oil painting.

James Gurney said...

Tom, yes, I have the book from that series, and I love it--it's one of my favorite books on plein air paintings. I haven't seen the videos, but I would love to sometime.

Kate said...

Gosh James, you have a busy schedule coming up. All the best! Down here under the world, we are rather impoverished culturally...

(I don't suppose you'd ever consider a visit to the land of the kiwis?)

Keith Parker said...

I'll be at the IMC in June! Looking forward to it. :D

Tom Hart said...

I just happened to click on the Plein Air link and notice that John Stobart isn't listed. (I coulndn't attend in any case; I was just interested to see what his blurb said.) Do you know if he cancelled? I hope he's okay.

James Gurney said...

Tom, You're right, the special guests are: Peter Adams, Ken Auster, Scott Christensen, Ned Mueller, C.W. Mundy, Ray Roberts, and me, plus all the other faculty. Im not sure why J. Stobart isn't on the list any longer, but guest lists can change for a lot of reasons as the date gets closer.

mcarspec said...

Any chance you'll have a break long enough to attend Spectrum Live 2 in KC?