Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Gumball machines in a laundromat



Heres a page from my sketchbook yesterday—some gumball machines in a San Diego laundromat.


I showed the owner a few pages from my sketchbook and she loaned me a stool to sit on. Her daughter is a budding artist and she watched with great interest and then did a drawing of her own. 

I'm using casein as a base layer and then finishing up with Royal Talens gouache, which I'm trying out for the first time. The gouache is very rich in pigment saturation with very interesting thixotropic working properties due to the dextrin binder. More on that in future posts. 

(link to video on Facebook) I'm at the Plein Air Convention and Expo in San Diego. Very inspiring to be among over a thousand outdoor painters.

7 comments:

Bug said...

I am astonished at how clear your very small labels are. My hand shakes when I try to do a straight line. Beautiful work all the way around.

Unknown said...

Curious to read your take on Talens. I recently bought a few on clearance. I'm guilty of overworking the paper sometimes. Is this a deciding factor for a casein base? And so very exciting to see you and Jeanette at Spectrum. It was a B.L.A.S.T. :-)

Daroo said...

Great -I Love that reflection on the shadow side! Perfect temp and intensity.

Mario said...

Looking forward to your opinion about Talens gouache, the brand I mostly use. The dextrin binder is supposed to be less quality than gum arabic (I think it's normally used in poster paints), but sometimes I wonder if most of those claims about "quality paints" are just commercial hype.

Steve said...

Thanks for bringing us along for another demonstration of finding the extraordinary in the ordinary. Thanks also for expanding my vocabulary; "thixotropic" is new to me and a welcome addition. It appears the word "Change" is on the cover of this sketchbook, probably preceded by another word. Wondering what the first page of this sketchbook contains...

Tareqs Digital said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rich said...

Once more happy to see you at work!
Once more I'm fascinated (among other things) by your lettering expertise.
The letters on this modest size are so small... and still soo precise.

For me, this goes well into the category of a successful "miniature painting".