Friday, April 26, 2019

Meet Duncan, the Mini Stallion


Duncan is the new mini horse on the farm. He's nervous because he hasn't met the other horses yet and all the sounds in the barn startle him. 


I set up inside his stall to paint his portrait. (Link to video on Facebook) He's curious and friendly when I talk to him and offer him some grass.

But he accidentally bumps into the tripod leg, startles. and the whole painting rig goes down into the wood chips. I clean up and set up again outside his stall.

Duncan is a stallion, so even though he's tiny, he may be a little unpredictable around the other horses until he's gelded. Eventually he'll be introduced to the rest of the crew, starting with the mini horses, and then the donkeys.
-----
Video tutorial: "Painting Animals from Life."
69 minutes Widescreen, MP4 video. 

Digital download

DVD


6 comments:

K. F. Peters said...

What kind of brush is that? I've not seen one like it before.

Terry said...

I love how you've captured Duncan's innocence.

Patricia Wafer said...

Congratulations on your new guy! He looks adorable even if a bit unpredictable.

Penny Taylor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Penny Taylor said...

Aww, he's beautiful. You captured his personality so we'll!

Botanical Art TV said...

Hi James - I have a quick question about Casein. I have a pump spray bottle of fixative made by Spectra Fix which says it is made with a milk casein formula. My question is could I make my own coloured casein by adding some watercolour pigment to it and painting it on to some watercolour paper? Regards David