Wednesday, December 30, 2020

How Do I Find My Art Style?

Jo  says: I’m having trouble finding my art style. I do a lot of abstract pieces but I want to do more! I’m feeling overwhelmed with where to start.



(Link to YouTube) I would suggest pursuing your interest in abstraction, not with studio abstract paintings but by going outdoors and exploring the abstract forms of nature. Whatever kind of abstraction you're interested in—such as fractals, 2D patterns, fluid dynamics, or complex textures—you'll find it in the real world around you, both in the human-made world and in wild nature. 

When you paint from observation, don't worry too much about paint strokes or your personal interpretation. Instead, lose yourself in the subject and try to capture what you see as objectively as you can.


Let your sketchbook and your personal paintings be a place for learning, experimentation and selflessness. Doing this will help you forget about style. Your own unique voice, your way of interpreting the world will inevitably emerge.
-----

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great advice as always, thank you!

Steve said...

This is excellent at a number of levels. Interestingly, as someone who is typically not a fan of abstract art, I recently had an epiphany that almost all art, except maybe hyper realism is abstract. Secondly, the audio is incredibly hypnotic. Could easily be used to induce the trance state. Great content, as always. Thanks for the gift.

Rainer said...

Thanks for this post and the video.

Unknown said...

Every painting style is abstract in one way or another. Even hyperrealism is abstract. In other words, different painting styles are simply different ways and methods of putting down paint on the painting surface, nothing more. Some are more wild, some are more scientific, some are meticulous, but at their most fundamental, every style is abstract. As for hyperrealistic painting in particular, it is a painting style whose brushstrokes are extremely orderly constructed abstraction.

Giacomo | disegnintasca.it said...

Thank you James for this post and video, I've started exploring your channel and got so much inspiration for my drawing and painting journey

Bill Marshall said...

Wish I had a teacher like you back in my art school(s) of the '70's. But then, I probably wouldn't have listened anyway, as I was in my early 20's.

I'll contribute: Find the things you love and paint them. The rewards are endless!

Unknown said...

wonderful advice! Thank you for always being at our side and helping us with your art, showing the delicacy and precision of your look at the nature that surrounds us.

John Pototschnik said...

Totally correct, James. Good advice.

Flavia Barreto said...

Great advice! I have been learning a lot from your videos on Youtube, your blog, your book Color & Light, and your comments. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

Unknown said...

Enjoying your blog and you tube videos. I am new to using gouache. Only have long handle brushes for oil painting. Any suggestions on types of brushes to get ? Synthetic, soft, flat, round, sizes? Thank you for your time. A great public service during lockdown!!!
Kathy Lentz
Pensacola, Florida