Sunday, May 24, 2015

Color Photography from 1913

In its informal pose and rich color, this photograph looks like it was shot in 1973, but actually it was taken in 1913. 

It used the Autochrome process, developed in 1903 by the Lumière brothers, using glass plates covered with potato starch. Motoring pioneer Mervyn O’Gorman took the photo, with his daughter Christina posing. The lack of era-specific costume details adds to the sense of timelessness.
-----
This and seven other photos of Christina at Bored Panda.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The link to BoredPanda does not work.

SC said...

Try this link:
http://www.boredpanda.com/autochrome-photography-christina-mervyn-ogorman/
Cheers!
~SC

Susan Krzywicki said...

I was just looking at some family pictures taken at about the same time. They have nowhere near to timeless quality and the ethereal beauty of this shot. Thank you for expanding my horizons!

poggy said...

James, those were my thoughts exactly - when I saw these pictures on tumblr a few weeks ago, the flowing hair and the color palette just screamed "70s" to me, and I had to do a double take when I read the caption saying 1913. I guess it's a lucky mix of what looks like a very sunny day and the red in her clothes being actually vivid enough to register well in autochrome. This is particularly egregious, but I love early color photography - suddenly those century-old people look a lot more similar and close to us when you remove the relative abstraction of black and white.

d-vallejo said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

Maybe this will be interesting for you too:http://veinik.by/index.htm?lang=en