Thursday, December 30, 2021

Designing the Dinotopia Pop-Up Book


I've always loved pop-up books, so when we decided to make a Dinotopia pop-up book with Waldo Hunt (1920-2009), I was pretty jazzed. Wally was the man responsible for the revival of pop-up books between the 1960s and 1990s, with classics like Haunted House by Jan Pieńkowski.


He sent me a bunch of examples, and taught me about the history of novelty and movable toy books by Lothar Meggendorfer and other pioneers.



To get the ball rolling, I brainstormed a bunch of ideas for "dimensionalizing" Dinotopia in terms of basic pop-up mechanics, such as the stage set, v-fold, box and cylinder, and floating layers. 


Their engineers came back with more fun ideas. Tomorrow I'll show you what we came up with.



Dinotopia Pop-Up Book

No comments: