Saturday, February 12, 2022

Jamie Wyeth's Paintings on Cardboard

At various stages in his career, Jamie Wyeth has turned to gouache instead of oil, and he has painted on non-archival surfaces such as corrugated cardboard.

"Much to the dismay of conservators, many of the graphite, charcoal, and white-gouache drawings of Nureyev and Warhol were done on sheets of cardboard that, because of their high acid content, were apt to deteriorate quite rapidly. 'I knew it was a terrible material, but I really liked the color, thickness, and absorption of the cardboard,' Wyeth explains. 'Later I worked with Dieu Donné and Twinrocker to make archival papers that were similar in color, texture, and weight. Those are the papers I use now.'”

Quotes are from the Artist Network blog: Artists Network Blog

Image: Andy Warhol Drawing, Jamie Wyeth, 2018. Acrylic, gouache, watercolor and graphite on Crescent toned paperboard, 49.5 × 39.4 cm.


6 comments:

Susan Krzywicki said...

Impermanence/permanence - the human condition. Here, finely wrought by an amazing talent.

Unknown said...

This is Lynnwood :) Many years ago in Memphis,where I grew up,in a bank downtown,was an awesome large Portrait by Andrew Wyeth of Willard Snowden,one of his models It was done it looked like on a big brown grocery shopping bag torn and flattened. Nor a big piece of crinkleled brown wrapping paper.

Robert Michael Walsh said...

"Inferno," if that's its proper name, is one of my favorite Jamie Wyeth paintings. When I first saw it years ago at the Brandywine River Museum I was struck that it was painted on corrugated cardboard. The Museum accompanied the Jamie Wyeth show with this video https://vimeo.com/21877522. It's worth watching. I don't recommend Jamie's brush adjustment by licking the bristles.

widdly said...

Twinrocker makes a tan watercolor paper called Patriot. I wonder if that is the one Jamie uses.

https://www.twinrockerhandmadepaper.com/pa_main.php

Loretta said...

I like working on paper bags myself; an easy way to render it archival it to slap a coat of shellac on it....non toxic and dries fast. Get the shellac at hardware store.

Loretta

Unknown said...

This is Lynnwood :) that's exactly how you do the oil painting excercises in "The Natural Way to Draw"!