Sunday, February 27, 2022

Strategy for Combining Materials


Orling Dominguez of the Dominican Republic asks: "You have an interesting mixed media approach, open to any tool or technique you can combine. What are you thinking as you bring all these different materials together? Have you developed a step-by-step process to your choices, or is it more ‘by feel’? What makes something suited for one approach over another?


J.G.: Good question, Orling. In my sketching kit, I bring art supplies that are totally cross-compatible: a fountain pen, water-soluble colored pencils and graphite pencils, water brushes (one with water and a couple others with water-soluble colored inks), a small Schmincke watercolor pan set, and a few tubes of gouache. I also have an oil painting kit, but that's totally separate.

Basic thinking: there is no line between drawing and painting, and there are no “purist” rules. Anything goes as long as it’s conservationally sound. I do go by feel and I use whatever media or methods convey the most information or mood in the time available. And of course, I only bring out what is reasonable to use in a given situation, such as a concert hall, a subway, or a restaurant.

Choosing suitable materials and methods means matching the demands of the subject with the effects I’m likely to get from a given combination of materials. Testing in the studio is key to this non-traditional approach; that’s why I’ve been demonstrating testing and experimentation in my recent Gumroad videos.

1 comment:

timothy said...

Your sketches in this post prompt me to ask another question: do you have thoughts about Charles Hawthorne and his followers Henry Hensche and Arthur Stern? Their method seems somewhat different from yours as they focus on reproducing the colors they see, and your approach is based on color structure.