Thursday, March 17, 2022

County Tipperary


County Tipperary, Ireland, plein air oil, 8 x 10" (20.3 x 25.4 cm), 1994.

On this trip I decide not to rent a car. I just bum rides from friends and walk everywhere. All my painting gear fits in one backpack and all my other gear in a suitcase. I wander on foot each day alone in search of a motif while my son Dan is in Clonmel studying tunes and prepping for the Fleadh Cheoil, the annual international Irish music competition.

I walk up a hill road to a break in the hedgerow with a big view: sheep grazing on a far pasture, a passing shower. Way down in the valley I can almost hear the friendly fever of the jigs and reels while the silent sea of heaven rolls overhead.

You can get a copy of Dan's CD at this link.


2 comments:

Bevan said...

I see a cute scale on the right edge, is this a way to help you adjust the colors to something more life like?

Martha said...

That's the Ireland I love--where you can almost touch the clouds.