Monday, March 21, 2022

Painting the 1929 New Standard Biplane


In this new YouTube video, I paint a 1929 biplane at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome using casein paint. 

Art Supplies
Richeson casein paint set
Tripod


I'm painting area by area, filling in the lines almost like a coloring book. With that limited palette, I can get most of the colors I want, but there are other colors in my bag if I need them. More about limited palettes in Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter.


The light changes throughout the day as the sun moves from left to right and goes in and out of clouds.


In the video I consider how people imagined the future in 1929 when that aircraft was new and how close their predictions actually turned out to be.
--


1 comment:

VirginiaFhinn said...

I’m sure I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again anyway: I really love these type of videos where you give us a bit of history or story behind the painting, and I love the videos where you read poetry to us or give us a quote (one that really sticks out for me is the one where you’re painting the supermarket doorway, of Emile Zola “the past was the cemetery of our illusions, we simply stubbed our toes on the gravestones”). Another personal favourite of mine are videos where there is the sounds of a diner in the background.