Monday, March 2, 2009

Winter 2009

Today we're being hit with another winter storm. The north wind is rattling the windchimes and spinning the anemometers in wild orbits. New snow is whitewashing the ground, covering the gray remnants of the last few snowfalls.


It has been a long winter. But I'm not complaining; in fact I thrive on the austerity of winter as a foundation for my creative life. Winter scrapes the palette clean before springtime unscrews the caps from the tubes of colors and squeezes out the reds and yellows and greens.

6 comments:

caynazzo said...

Bring out the white gouache!

Andrew said...

We got hit by snow down here in Atlanta too. I haven't been here long, but I guess this isn't too out of the ordinary. What was weird for us though was the fact it stuck and gave us an inch or two of snow on the ground.

Never before have I seen the south panic so quickly in the face of weather, and I lived in a hurricane state for most of my life!

J M said...

This must be hard to endure! This seems to be a harsh winter in most of the northern hemisphere. Even here in the usually mild Mediterranean we've had ugly weather for months. But even so, snow in the plains is almost unheard of here... once every fifteen years or so.

Ginger*:) said...

I will think about your view of winter as I shovel yet another path for Henry hound through the mountains of snow that just fell.



...and I will smile as I watch it spill back into the path I just shoveled.

Unknown said...

I'm glad this missed us. I didn't really want my palette scraped again!

Shannon said...

I really liked this post, about stark winter rinsing the canvas clean. It inspires me... and inspired my last blog post at http://leaplittlefrog.blogspot.com/