Friday, September 2, 2011

Wash Line Mount

 A “wash-line mount” is a painted frame around a watercolor composition.

It usually consists of a series of tinted borders and ruled lines. Tints of watercolor pigments can be placed into a ruling pen to get a really even tinted line, or they can be applied with a brush for wider borders. Washline mounts were especially popular in Britain in the nineteenth century.

Image from The Strawberry Hill Trust
Books: The Great Age of British Watercolours: 1750-1880


Gardenart said...

I've never heard of that before. That might be fun to try. Very neat!
-- Alice

Sarah Stevenson said...

Interesting. I've seen those, but didn't know they had a name. Thanks!