Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Fees, Social Media, and Working with Clients

On YouTubecreekkidart asks: "I’d love to know how you quote for these kinds of projects. Do you include the time it takes to create the maquettes and sketch paintings, and do you tell your client that you’re making them?

Yes, I share the maquette building process with the writer, the art director and the scientist as I develop the illustration. 

Making maquettes is just part of my process. It seems like a lot of extra work, but it save me time in the long run and gives me better results. I don't get paid extra for making them. 

How do I quote fees? A small magazine like Ranger Rick pays relatively modest amounts compared to some other clients, but I still want to provide them with as much quality and extra value as I can. 

Keep in mind that a painting can have a life and a potential for earning you income beyond the initial commission. If you own the copyright, then a few months after it appears in print, you can use it in your own books, prints, tutorials or whatever, plus you can sell the original. 

I share the videos and social-media posts because it's just fun. More than that, the coverage raises awareness both for me and for the client, so it's a win/win all around. As long as the illustrator lets the client lead off and be the first to share, most print clients are grateful if you can generate social-media buzz, because very few clients could afford to pay a video team to produce content like that. I believe in the mission of a wildlife magazine for kids, and I want them to win.

1 comment:

David Webb said...

I agree with what you say about modest fees, from clients who may not have a big budget. When I did illustration work, fees varied quite a bit. However, I always worked to the same standard, regardless. The way I viewed it was, every job I did was an advert for any potential future jobs.
They all ended up in my folio.