Saturday, September 22, 2007

Blue Sky Studios

Yesterday Jeanette and I kicked off the Road Tour with a visit to Blue Sky Studios in White Plains, New York. Blue Sky created the CG animated features Ice Age and Robots. I presented the behind-the-scenes PowerPoint show about the making of Journey to Chandara to a group of their designers, animators, and directors.


Everyone at Blue Sky is informal and friendly and very enthusiastic about what they do. Check out the studio’s website, which describes their filmmaking process and what it’s like to work there. We were so impressed with the level of talent there, in so many departments— character design, story, layout, color scripting, effects, and lighting.


They’re currently deep in production on Dr. Seuss’s Horton Hears a Who for a March 14, 2008 release. The designers showed great respect for the style and spirit of the original book. It promises to be the best Seuss adaptation yet.

10 comments:

Colin said...

Better than Chuck Jones's "Grinch"?? That's a tall hurdle to vault.

Michael Damboldt said...

I saw the preview to "Horton hears a who" in theaters recently. I remember reading that book years and years ago so it'll be great to see it adapted to film.

Anonymous said...

Are you thinking of possibly putting Dinotpia into film again?

Anonymous said...

No, I'm not. I'm busy enough with writing and illustrating my books, and they're the most important thing to me right now.

But I enjoy meeting people in the CGI animation and FX worlds, who love the same kind of imagemaking I do.

Unknown said...

It was such a great opportunity to have you come by the studio! Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself with us. The new book is amazing, and you've raised the bar for sure. We're all very inspired indeed.

Anonymous said...

Hm...the bit about their adaptation being very faithful seemed directed at Hallmark...maybe I'm projecting...

Anonymous said...

Matthew Barbot said...
Hm...the bit about their adaptation being very faithful seemed directed at Hallmark...maybe I'm projecting...


What do you mean? I don't understand what you said.

Michael Damboldt said...

So, I just realized the striking similarity between your lovely wife and Norah of Treetown! Hmmm.. any chance she posed for the picture? :-)

Unknown said...

Hello and Greetings James!
Congratulations and what a Profound masterpieces drawn.
Recently, I got the Imaginative Realism book and my whole family just loved it!!

Keep up the Great Masterpiece Works.

Is there plans from your several masterpieces turning into Theme Parks???
It will most exciting of Fantasy!!

Cheers from Eddie Choong.T.F.-Malaysia

James Gurney said...

Thanks, Eddie, for your nice compliments, and good luck with your work. I'm happy that you enjoy Imaginative Realism. Someday I hope to visit Malaysia. I hear it is a beautiful place, nice people, and great food.