Sunday, October 7, 2007

Meeting Readers and Writers


On Friday night I presented Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara to a coed private school in the Hudson Valley. Since they were high school students, most of them were not familiar with the original Dinotopia books. But since the new story is a stand-alone sequel, they could become aquainted with the world of Dinotopia without any other introduction.

Then on Saturday I joined a group signing at Books of Wonder, one of New York City’s favorite children’s bookstores. Owner Peter Glassman billed the event as “three generations of fantasy authors.”

I sat beside film-producer-turned-novelist Perry Moore, whose first novel Hero has just been published, and Susan Cooper, whose novel The Dark is Rising novel has just been adapted into the live-action film Seeker: Dark is Rising, released Friday night.

The day ended at my hometown bookstore, Oblong Books in Rhinebeck, New York. I felt so grateful to begin the tour at the place that gave both of my sons their summer jobs, surrounded by so many friends and many of the models for the characters in my new book.

1 comment:

Colin said...

Wow, Susan Cooper. I loved her books as a kid. I'm a little wary of the film though because it seems like they made some pretty big changes, particularly transplanting the story from the UK to the US.