Thursday, April 10, 2008

Allure of the East

We stopped in earlier this evening for the preview opening of the New-York Historical Society's new exhibit "The Allure of The East: Orientalism in New York, 1850-1930."

Compared to the dazzling and extensive Central Asian textile exhibit in the room next door, the Orientalism show is compact, but it has a few representative paintings by Jean-Leon Gerome (lower left), Madrazo Y Garreta (lower right) and Edwin Lord Weeks (not shown). Both shows will be officially open from April 11-August 17. link.

Tomorrow: Hair, Part 2

4 comments:

Victor said...

Did you get a chance to check out the 19th art that will be going up for auction at Sotheby's?

http://sothebys.com/app/paddleReg/paddlereg.do?dispatch=eventDetails&event_id=28740

There seems to be a lot of cool 19th c. art stuff going on in NYC right now.

James Gurney said...

Victor, you're right: this is the season for seeing great stuff at the auction houses. We stopped by Sotheby's and saw the Russian preview, but we'll miss the 19th C European show, which will have about eight Bouguereaus and a mind-bloggling lost masterpiece by Vibert of Gulliver in Lilliput.

Kristina Carroll said...

James, it was such a pleasure seeing your lecture at the SOI, I'm really glad Donato mentioned it. In fact, I liked it so much I may have to stop by the NY Comic con event for an encore with some friends! Thanks for pointing out these wonderful shows coming up, I can't wait to check them out. I'm also very happy to have discovered your blog, and look forward to catching up with all the amazing information here.

On a random aside, I saw that you mentioned The Sultan's Elephant a while back. Did you ever get a chance to see it? I was lucky enough to be in Atwerp during its run there, and following a 30 foot tall girl marionette down those narrow streets in the rain with a hundred other people was one of the most amazing and surreal experiences I've had.

Enzie Shahmiri said...

I am so envious! I am a big Orientalist fan and do not get to see these types of exhibits unless I dish out airfare and travel cross country.