Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Art By Committee: Bored

Wednesday is the day for our group sketch game called "Art By Committee."

It's based on a sketchbook that I started when I was doing a lot of paperback covers. Whenever a line struck me as odd, I'd snip it out of the manuscript and tape it into a large sketchbook. I often bring the book with me when I have lunch with fellow illustrators, and while waiting for the food to come, we sketch a solution to the out-of-context excerpt. Blog reader Jen Zeller suggested we open it to the art blog community by sharing the same quotes that are in the original book.

This week’s quote: “The man looked bored” led to drawings that were anything but boring or predictable.

And the one from the original sketchbook. Let me know if I overlooked your link.

Here’s next week’s quote: “It seemed as if the whole damned planet was a university.”

Please scale your JPG to around 700 pixels across and compress the heck out of it. Title it with your name, send it to: jgurneyart(at)yahoo.com, subject line ABC, and please give me your blog or website URL if you'd like me to link (even if you gave it to me before). Please have your entries in by next Tuesday at 10:00 AM Eastern Time USA.

4 comments:

Josh (musarter) said...

Some really great entries this week. Personally, I really liked the plank head image.

Jen Z said...

Oh, these are brilliant! I also like the board joke, though it took me a few seconds to get, hahaha... Wonderful work, everyone! Also, thanks for the honourable mention, Jim. :]

Anonymous said...

At my local art jams I did something similar. I made tiny booklets with scrap paper, and on each page wrote a head line from the 'overhearinnewyork' site
http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

Lots of whimsical, contextless headers.

Unknown said...

They are all awesome, but Jen and Liza get the biggest chuckles from me this week. Jen illustrated every guy's least favorite activity. Jen, that illustration personifies Captain Kirk.