Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Buses of Malta

Malta is full of beautiful old churches and museums, but I was smitten by the buses. You can ride all around the island for 3.49 Euros per day, and come home with your head spinning and your lungs full of lead fumes.

I did these watercolor sketches while waiting for the buses in the stations.

This one took about an hour. I checked first with the drivers to make sure it was going to stay put for a while.

It was fun to show the sketches to the guys in the station, who knew all the buses individually. There are rumors that the E.U. is going to crack down on the Maltese buses because of their unregulated emissions. In a few years, some people told me, they'll be in a museum.

7 comments:

Erik Bongers said...

Beautiful sketches of charming buses (or vice versa).
If the drivers cross themselves before departing...I'd rather draw than drive those buses.

Jason Peck said...

Wonderful work James, you never fail to amaze me with your watercolors. Just beautiful..Its amazing that you find beauty in everyday aspects of life that most people wouldn't even think twice about. I wish I had that talent.

Best Jason

ricardo said...

Those are some cool looking buses!
I get a feeling of Cuba from their designs. Were they built locally?

JP said...

These are very inspirational! They make me itch to do some sketching of my own.

James Gurney said...

Ricardo, I read somewhere that the chassis were from Leyland Dominant buses used for troop transport in WW2 and that the current bodies were built over them later. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone who knows better!

Erik, Funny, I never worried about safety, even though one of the drivers was texting his friends as he drove...and there were no traffic lights or stop signs. Blind confidence on my part, maybe, but those guys were superb drivers.

Becky said...

Beautiful! I love the colors - I wish the buses here had as much character :)

Great sketches!

adebanji said...

Amazing! I just love the FUNK and character you have given the buses!