Monday, June 15, 2009

ABC: Harvard Depository

The 15th of the month is the day for a group sketch game called "Art by Committee." The way it works is I share a prompt and you come up with a picture to go with it. This time we started with a business card:

I must admit that I thought the assignment was unpromising, but I was blown away. You came up with some amazing characterizations for Trudy and imaginative ideas for her environment. You can practically smell the dust on the bookshelves.

Dave Lebow
Image
Website


Mei-Yi Chun
Image
Link:

Ginger Nielson
Image:
Website
Blog:

Mario Zara
Blog

Andy Wales
Blog
Image:

Michael Manomivibul
Website

Michael Geissler
Read or Die, link.
Image:

Marisa Bryan
Image


Dave Harshberger
Blog

Rob Hummer
Image

Jared Updike
Image

Here's my solution. To show you how clueless I am, I thought Trudy was a guy’s name until Jeanette pointed out it’s short for Gertrude. And all I could think of for “depository” was a piggy bank.

Now get ready for next month. The quote for July is: “But when the dots did not vanish even after he scrubbed his fists across his eyes three times, he shouted hoarsely…”


Have fun! Please scale your JPG to 400 pixels across and compress it as much as possible. Title it with your name, send it to: jgurneyart(at)yahoo.com, subject line ABC. Please let me know in your email the full URL of the link to a larger image or your blog or website so people can see your image in all its glory and learn more about your other work. Please have your entries in by the 12th of July. I'll post the results July 15.
-----
Previous Art-By-Committees

4 comments:

Mark Heng said...

Wow, nice to see some traditional media! Great work as always. The miniature librarian is a concept I would never have thought of.

Mario said...

nice ideas, sometimes a simpler subject can unleash creativity.
It is curious that, like me, you didn't immediately realize that "Trudy" is female... :)

Michael said...

Great job everyone. I found drawing all those books strangely soothing. If we didn't have a deadline I'd probably be still at it, drawing stuff that would be completely invisible on a smallish jpeg. As I said in my email to James, my ninja librarian owes a lot to the bizarre-but-fun anime Read Or Die, which explains that link next to my picture.
- Michael Geissler.

Steve said...

Great range of images. Dave Harshberger's piece reminded me of Robert McCloskey's and Louis Darling's work from the 1950's...my childhood.