Monday, September 28, 2009
Blog reader GooGoo Supreme suggested a video contest for the new book Imaginative Realism. (Image above is a watercolor by blog regular Steve Gilzow.)
Great idea, Eric. Now you can get in on the fun. If you have a camera or a cellphone that shoots video, you've got all the tools you need. No experience necessary. It can be as simple as talking into your webcam, or it can be as fancy as a scripted, edited piece with music and sound effects.
It can be funny or serious. It can show your own art talents, your pet's unusual tricks, your animation skills, or a profile of your uncle Harry, the illustrator. But it has to somehow relate to the new book, and it has to be something that you created. You don't even need to own the book; you can create a video that uses content from GurneyJourney blog posts if you want.
Here are the guidelines.
1. Please limit length to 60 seconds or shorter.
2. Post your video on YouTube. Send the YouTube URL link to: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line VIDEO.
3. Deadline for sending the email with YouTube link: November 9.
4. On Friday, November 13, I'll post the results on GurneyJourney, with a link back to your blog or website.
5. I'll set up a poll so that blog readers can vote for your favorite. Poll vote determines winner.
6. First prize: Signed copy of Imaginative Realism with a nice original sketch inside, plus a signed copy of Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara and a poster.
7. Second prize: signed Imaginative Realism and a poster.
8. Third through fifth prizes: Signed posters.
Have fun, and I can't wait to see what you come up with!