Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cover Poll Results

The people have spoken! In the Color and Light book cover poll, there were 744 votes in all, and here’s how they were distributed.

So we’re going to go with the sleeping dino, which happened to be my favorite, too. For those of you who wanted the street scene, don’t be disappointed—we'll show it uncropped on the back cover. The lamplight, birdman, and sunset scenes will appear inside the book with about 300 other color illustrations.

It was an amazing experience to read all 114 of your comments. Perhaps because you’re all so visually sophisticated and articulate, you managed to verbalize all the vague hunches and considerations that were lying half-dormant in my brain, plus you pointed out many angles I never had thought of. The folks at Andrews McMeel were impressed with you all, too. So thanks again, and I’ll keep you posted.

7 comments:

The fearless threader said...

Excellent choice and I have to save your followers have excellent taste!

Rose said...

Oh wow !! Lamplight is wonderful !! Where is the scan ?

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, the street scene is the perfect back cover illustration - it is a beautiful painting in its own right, and, being an example of something quite traditional with a sort of 19th century feel, compared to the fantasy/wildlife photo traits of the sleeping dino it really says that this book will cover many different aspects of its namesake subjects.

groperofeuropa said...

Woo! The dinosaur was the best idea. The street scene does showcase your skill a bit better and when I look for a guide to light and colour I'd be looking for a book that had that as the primary focus rather than anatomy or composition or whatever. However its nowhere near as eye catching as a cover with a subject to focus on.

Sam G said...

Cool! Do we all get credit in your book? ;P

Shanth Enjeti said...

Obviously, they would all make excellent covers, but I am so glad that you picked "Sleeping Dino". It is a striking painting and my favorite of the bunch.

Mark Vander Vinne said...

Drat, I got to this one too late to cast a vote, but wanted to leave an opinion anyway. It seems that many people chose the cover out of which one they liked the best, as opposed to which one tells the story of the book the best. I can understand why the Sleeping Dino got the majority vote, but I question whether it is too limiting in its portrayal of a dinosaur to a wider audience. So the real question becomes: Who is the target audience for the book? While some will certainly purchase the book because of your background, knowledge and experience, I wonder if you could reach a broader (illustration and fine art) audience (who may not be as familiar with your work) with the montage, the sunset street or the Lamplight scene.

Just my thoughts and opinions. Thanks for listening (reading).