Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Rockwell’s Bifocals

Norman Rockwell had a pair of bifocal glasses specially made with a vertical division in the middle of each lens. Instead of the close-up portion being below the far focus area, it was alongside it.

These glasses allowed him to shift his attention sideways from his reference to his painting, rather than bobbing his head up and down.

The actual glasses are currently on display alongside a scuffed sneaker in a glass case at the Norman Rockwell Museum.

8 comments:

Sam G said...

I don't travel too much...but one of these days (I swear) I'm going to make a trek to the Rockwell Museum. My Dad was lucky enough to go. I also want to go to the Frazetta museum. Is it re-opened yet?

Dan Gurney said...

"The real world is the ultimate hackable platform."

Mary Bullock said...

What a smart man!

Miggy said...

That's some genius right there. Artists are problem-solvers.

Marianne said...

What a clever salutation with bifocal glasses!

James Gurney said...

Sam, I haven't heard of plans to reopen the Frazetta museum.

Anonymous said...

That's very cool! I love these little tidbits!

Michael Chesley Johnson, Artist / Writer said...

What a swell idea! I have the same problem - bobbing the head, and it gives me a neckache. I wonder if today's lensmakers are up to the challenge of making a vertically-divided bifocal?