Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Release Day for Color and Light

Today is the official release day for Color and Light, and there’s lots of news.

We just got our shipment yesterday, and I’ve been busy signing books for the customers who have pre-ordered. Everyone who mailed in an order as of yesterday will get their shipment out in today’s mail.

And you’ll get a very special sketch inside as a thank-you for your patience.



Yesterday, Color and Light received a very generous review from Armand Cabrera on his blog Art and Influence. Armand is one of America’s leading landscape painters. He has a background in fantasy, since he got his start in the world of game design. His thoughtful and detailed weekly posts on art history, composition, color, and plein-air painting are always inspiring and helpful, so if you haven’t checked out his blog in a while, it’s a must-read. Here’s Armand’s review.


Another review just came in, from another master landscape painter—and daily blogger—Stapleton Kearns. Like Armand’s, his blog is also a must read, and I’m sure many of you G.J.-ers already are regulars of Stapleton Kearns, which recently has covered everything from Raymond Loewy to detailed analysis of Sargent’s painting methods. Also, I mention Stape in the book, for the phrase “smuggling reds,” which I learned from his blog. You can read Stape’s review here. 

If that's not enough to go to my head (and make my cardboard top hat not fit anymore), there's a review from Nathan Fowkes. Nathan is one of the top concept artists at DreamWorks. And in my opinion, he's one of the finest colorists on the planet, able to effortlessly switch between observational and imaginative color. His drawing and painting demos at his workshops in LA are legendary, and you can see some of his work in the new DreamWorks book Moonshine.

And one more, a review from Sidebar, the blog of the podcast that covers comics, art, and pop culture. These interviews make fun listening in the studio, so check them out. Sidebar review here. 

If you missed it, here's the Lines and Colors review.
-------
Color and Light on Amazon internationally: USA | CA | UK | FR | DE | JP
Color and Light on Barnes & Noble.com
Color and Light on IndieBound (Independent booksellers)
Color and Light signed (and doodled in) by me, from the Dinotopia Store

26 comments:

Unknown said...

Damn, I ordered mine from Amazon, I would've liked to see the sketch there.

There's always the next book though hehehe

Sakievich said...

I've been telling my students at Utah Valley University to get this book, hopefully now that it's out one of them will want to get an A by getting me this book!

K_tigress said...

Oo would love one of these books but for now its just going to have to be on my want list.

Kessie said...

I've got both your books on my wishlist for Christmas. I'm really hoping I get them. I don't think I've been this excited about an art book in a long time.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the release! I am looking forward to reading this.

It is also interesting to see how blogs have opened up communication and collaboration between professionals like you and Stapleton. For some reason I picture all of you guys on your own little island. Obviously not the case!

Unknown said...

aw man :O want that sketch! haha. Im still happy with the book though I HOPE IT GETS HERE SOON!! :D

Devoid said...

Got mine from Amazon. Love it. A bunch of people around the office have looked at it for less then a minute then went to order it.

Mary Byrom said...

Go Jim! Congratulations ! Every where I look I'm reading rave reviews about your book - I saw the utube of it on Stapleton's website - wonderful! (so of course I bought it)

Nicki said...

Congratulations. I've been a fan of your blog for awhile now (I came across it when I googled limited palettes). I will definitely be ordering your book- wish I had done so sooner to get a signed copy. It will be a wonderful tool and resource in the studio. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Nathan said...

Looks great! Going right on my Christmas list!

josembielza said...

Too late... I preordered it on Amazon UK weeks ago ;)

willek said...

Your clear and thoughtful presentation of the creation and use of color gamuts and limited pallets is more than worth the price of the book. A must read for every painter.

Unknown said...

just got mine in the mail a few days ago. i'm really looking forward to digging into this. thanks so much!

Jobot said...

I love the glasses.

Stepherz7 said...

if I pre-ordered from amazon, are they still signed etc? Not that it matters, its still going to be an amazing read!

Tim Fitzgerald said...

Got it yesterday leafed through,in the evening,looking forward to an in depth reading. What great times we live in with so many painters willing to share their knowledge,with all on the internet.
Thanks Tim Fitz

James Gurney said...

Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate your nice words, and those of my fellow bloggers.

Jeremy, yes, I've painted with Armand Cabrera and have met Nathan and Stape--hope to paint with them sometime. It is a small world!

Stephanie, the Amazon books are not signed, but the ones from the Dinotopia Store come from my little studio. The order volume is manageable enough that I can not only sign but also draw a little picture in every book.

ricardo said...

Had to order from Amazon too... My copy will be missing the sketch and the autograph! Oh, man.

Congratulations on your new book, James!

Stephen James. said...

I am so getting my grimey hands on this book.

Stacy said...

I asked for a copy of your new book for Christmas. I wonder if it is too late (or too rude) to specify where I want it purchased from? I guess I won't. After all I've been a good girl all year, wouldn't want to spoil it now and risk having Santa skip me all together. :D

António Araújo said...

My copy arrived from the UK branch of thebookdepository today. Just cracked it open a few minutes ago and at first sight it looks like a big winner. Thanks for another great book, Jim.

Antonio

Jess said...

I wanted to preorder it through an online contact, but paying someone you've never met to send a check from Cali to NY doesn't sit too well with the parents.

Sigh. At least I can try asking a friend's relative to order it for me. Mr Gurney, do you ever get bored of signing books?

Chelaggedon said...

I bought this book (along with your other book)off of Amazon not knowing it was a brand spanking new release, it arrived on November 25th and I promptly gobbled up all the wonderful information in it. It has re-inspired me and given me back my enthusiasm to create art again after an almost 10 year hiatus. Thank you Mr. Gurney for helping me find my passion again.

Steven said...

Just got a copy on Amazon! Yes! Can't wait to dig in. Awesome.... great size, colors are fantastic... feels great. Yeh!

Jeff Z said...

I got my copy from Amazon too. Next time I'll order direct from you!

Fantastic book, absolutely wonderful. Bravo, and many thanks Mr. G!

Taranimator said...

This is an amazing book!! I'm pouring over it slowly, trying to absorb it all. Thank you so much for all this insight and information.