Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Scott Waddell’s Webisodes

Traditional realist Scott Waddell has produced some free art instruction videos showing the observational method that he has developed for very accurate drawings and paintings of the face and figure.


Part 1 (video link) shows a basic drawing block-in by establishing measurements, tilts, and a straight-line envelope around the form. Waddell was trained at Jacob Collins’ Water Street Atelier and the Florence Academy. Here's part 2 of Webisode 1 on refining the drawing

Waddell has nine short “webisode” videos so far. He introduces and narrates each step, demonstrating his method very clearly. He shows you the model he’s working from and compresses time just enough to make a many-hour-long drawing fit into just a few minutes.


Webisode 2 (Video link) demonstrates painting the eye, first by understanding each of the sub-forms surrounding the eye, and then carefully mixing and applying each color.


Webisode 6: (video link) In this video on painting the effects of light in on an ear, the language gets a big technical, but if you’re familiar with my book on Color and Light, you can keep pace with him.

It might appear that Waddell is just copying what he sees, but he's going beyond that. By analyzing and understanding the anatomical forms and the properties of the light, he can refine the modeling beyond the scope of the copyist. “This isn’t so much a system or a technique," he says, "As it is a way of thinking. It’s logical.”

His full length videos can be downloaded from his website.
Scott Waddell Website

16 comments:

Björn said...

He looks and talks like Christian Bale from American Psycho -- freaks me out. I really do enjoy these videos though:) Good Stuff!

Seidai Tamura said...

I really appreciate his generous instructional videos. They are great. I purchased his portrait demo video, available from his website. I think I will purchase his newly released figure painting demo video soon. That will be my Christmas present this year.

Tom Hart said...

Thanks for this James. This is a great resource, and without you sharing this, I might never have run across it.

I'm seriously considering one or both of his videos, but I'd be interested to know if any MAC users have bought them and if so, if there were any issues due to them being offered only on Windows Media Component. As his webpage explains, software to make his videos compatible with a MAC can be downloaded, but it would be nice to know if others have done so successfully.

Vicki said...

These are stunning. By understanding the forms and studying how all the parts fit together, plus how the underlying bones and muscles shape the curves of the form, he makes even his rough drawings come off full of life. It shows how much I can improve my own work by making more studies of skeletal structure, musculature, and just the architecture of the body. Beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing these videos.

I am continually awed by the generosity of artists who are willing to share with the world at large what they know about how to improve their art. It is time consuming to put together a video such as this, and doesn't add to ones own art; it is purely for the help of the rest of us.

Andrew said...

Tom -

If you're looking for an easy solution to play WMV's, might I suggest VLC Media Player? It's a pretty versatile, lightweight player that handles a multitude of different video formats, and the best part is that it's free.

I'm fairly certain it plays WMV's no problem, but it's been a while since I last checked. I do believe they have a complete list of compatible file formats on their website though.

Michael Damboldt said...

Love these! Thank you so much for sharing!

Claire Vrabel said...

Thanks for sharing! I love any video that breaks things down visually.. :)

J. R. Stremikis said...

@ Tom Hart...
no experience with these particular WMV's.
the Flip4Mac software/solution offered at the site
shouldn't be an issue. has worked well for current and various other Macs for some years, through many OS upgrades. Currently using OS 10.7.2 w/ no WMV issues.
Why not try it?

Tom Hart said...

Thanks to those who have weighed in on my WMC question. I think I should be okay with the solutions offered, my computer is new and my OS is up to date... now to find the bucks to actually buy the video(s)

Chris Vosters said...

This is a nice take on the general draw-along videos. Picture and text are spot-on. Nice production and brilliant that they're also available for free.
Also: in all of my years, why have i never ever thought of using my kneadable eraser like in the first vid!?

Monika Baum said...

I was looking for exactly these videos on youtube a day before but I could not remember the artist's name. Thank you so much for sharing - great timing! ;-) I have 4 commissioned portraits to do within the next couple of days after work hours and wanted to see again how Scott approaches a portrait. Thanks James!

Dan dos Santos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dan dos Santos said...

These are awesome! I just ordered the figure painting demo. And although the material covered is explained brilliantly, I was a little disappointed to see that the video is not nearly the same resolution as what is offered in the trailer. The figure painting trailer on youtube looks amazing at 720 pixels tall and widescreen format. The actual download, however, is 360 pixels tall and full screen. I do wish he mentioned these specs in the description.

Unknown said...

Scott is an incredible teacher, we are so lucky to have him at the Grand Central Academy!

Lindsey Millikan said...

Does anyone know what brushes he uses?
I'm impressed with how much paint the brush was able to hold for the entire stroke. I always have worked with much larger flats and filberts and very rarely utilize small rounds.

John Stone said...

Very Nice I love his style and technique!