Saturday, March 3, 2012

Three-Legged Soccer

Here’s a painting that didn’t make it into Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara.

It’s a game of “Three Legged Soccer.” You tie one of your legs to the leg of an ornithomimid dinosaur. Getting off a kick means pretty close cooperation with your partner.
This one ended up on the cutting room floor for two reasons. First, there just wasn’t enough space. Also, unlike the other games that I show in the book, Trio Tag, Plank Walking, and Tuggle, I didn’t actually have a chance to try this game out with human models, so I wasn’t completely sure of the dynamics and the practicality. You can sense the lack of conviction in the weakness of the drawing. 
-------
MORE
Get a copy of Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara signed
Previously on GurneyJourney
Tuggle and Plank Walking

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog!

James Pailly said...

I'm not sure how practical of a sport this would be, but it looks like fun.

Sam G said...

I don't think the kids would have a chance with dinosaurs.
Mr. Gurney - any chance for a tribute to Ralph McQuarrie who just passed away? He was one of my earliest art influences.

James Gurney said...

Hi, Sam,
Yes, Ralph McQ was a big influence on my early career, and I'm sorry to learn of his passing. I've been away from the internet and busy with museum show events this weekend, so I haven't been able to gather myself for a post about his passing.

T. Arispe said...

I would totally play that, regardless of how practical it would be. Because dinosaurs would be involved.