Saturday, April 14, 2012

Flagg's Hollywood Men

James Montgomery Flagg (1877-1960), best known for his "I Want You for U.S. Army" poster, was skilled in oils, watercolors, pen-and-ink, and charcoal. 


He was as famous for portraits as for his illustrations, and he did both straight portraits and caricatures.

Here are a few of his caricature portraits of the movie stars. They prove the notion that the key to a likeness is not the physiognomy, but rather the attitude.
------
James Montgomery Flagg on Wikipedia

4 comments:

erlson said...

caricatures have always been a challenge for me. But one day, I'll get it right

Gregory Lee said...

That Fred Astaire looks rather sinister (while I always thought he appeared guileless).

JZino said...

I had never heard that before about caricatures but it's a good point! I never knew the name behind the artwork here either. Thank you for posting epic stuff.

Mark Heng said...

So Cool! There's just a wee bit of exaggeration, but they really pop.