Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Jordu Schell's Monster Sculptures

Jordu Schell wants to scare the daylights out of you.

In Allentown, Pennsylvania last weekend, Schell gave a lecture about designing monsters for Hollywood movies. I'm an admirer of his work, so I sat up front and sketched him as he spoke about the things that scared him as a kid.

He started out by showing examples of weird animals in nature, then gave an overview of creature design in movies, and spotlighted some of his inspiration from the field of illustration, ending with examples of his own work.

Schell has done concept work for “Avatar”, “The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian”, “300”, “Hellboy”, “Aliens vs. Predator – Requiem” and many other films since he began in the field in 1987. He also makes props, masks, model kits, and effects — and he offers classes.

Jordu Schell website gallery
Video of a sculpture demo
Large gallery at Monster Brains


1 comment:

Poet Whale Studio said...

Thank you for another interesting post

I'm not scrared of Schell.
But the monster scares me because it reminds me of people I've known. That proximity to real life is where I don't want monsters to be. It is however, my favorite blanket over my head, fingers in my ears scared place.