Saturday, January 12, 2013

Leyendecker Exhibit in NYC

There's a exhibition of J.C. Leyendecker originals currently at the National Arts Club in New York through January 19th.
"Leyendecker (March 23, 1874 – July 25, 1951) was one of the pre-eminent American illustrators of the early 20th century. He is best known for his poster, book and advertising illustrations, the trade character known as The Arrow Collar Man, and his numerous covers for The Saturday Evening Post." 
Exhibit: J.C. Leyendecker: It's a Man's World 
Book: J.C. Leyendecker: American Imagist
Thanks, R.A.

7 comments:

Justin Spice said...

OMG and I call my self an artist... excuse my ignorance but how did I not know of this man! I am absolutely drooling over this work and just order 2 books because of your post! think you some much!!!

Michael Dooney said...

I hadn't heard about this at all, thanks. It seems really strange that the show will only be up for a short time. Any idea how big the show is??? It is always a treat to see Leyendecker originals.

Mike K said...

I got that book for Christmas, and it may very well be one of the best gifts I've ever received. It's become equal parts a delightful read and an invaluable reference resource as I work to improve my own techniques.

For what it's worth, I have Imaginative Realism to thank for introducing me to his work in the first place, so thank you, Mr. Gurney!

H-Tizzle said...

I love the cut-ins Leyendecker does, it's an interesting feeling to have the man very finished and smooth, surrounded by incredibly rough brush strokes.

Tami Traylor said...

For those commenters recently acquainted with J C Leyendecker, his life story is almost as intriguing as his artwork. It reads a bit like an F. Scott Fitzgerald story. Norman Rockwell even wrote of the man who was someone even the great Rockwell admired. You can find that snippet of his story as well as the fate of his brother and fellow illustrator Frank in My Adventures as an Illustrator"

Unknown said...

He's always been one of my favorite illustrators. As always your blog is so interesting and informative. An excellent article! And thanks Tami for mentioning the book. It's now on my list:-)

melisa1212 said...

I am amazed at this blog
Warm greetings from Indonesian blogger
Thank you so much206