Sunday, August 24, 2014

Dinotopia at the Children's House


Dr. Jo Ann Leggett, director of the Children’s House preschool of Victoria, Texas recently completed a Dinotopia-themed project for the school’s summer program, and she sent some photos to share.


Dr. Jo says: "Children delighted in all the books," and they learned about geography from the Dinotopia map.


They tried "plank walking," a Dinotopia game that I introduced in "Journey to Chandara."

To succeed at plank walking, everyone has to pull the ropes and lift their feet together as a team.


"Dinotopia is our 'most-looked-forward-to' unit at the school. Thank you for your inspiration," says Dr. Jo.

Thank YOU, Dr. Jo! If you're a teacher of any age group and would like to spotlight Dinotopia at your school, please write me a letter. I’ll be happy to send you a list of suggested games, projects, and activities, and I'll include a signed card to help you get the ball rolling.

Previously:
Dinosaurs Invade Millburn High School
Science, Art, and Fantasy (Elementary School)

6 comments:

Carole Pivarnik said...

What a fun way to learn!

Janet Oliver said...

So sweet! What a great inspiration you are, Mr. Gurney.

Jim Hartlage said...

Mr. Gurney, I know this question should go with materials, but I didn't know if you still check that post. I was looking to buy some Niji Waterbrushes and depending on the site sometimes 12mm is listed as large (via your link) and sometimes it is listed as medium and 15mm is listed as large. Any thoughts on which one is which?

James Gurney said...

Jim, I would probably go for the largest brush tip size, which I think is the 15mm size. You can still get good detail with it. They also make a flat version.

David Glenn said...

If my school did something like that it would've been one of the best days of my life.

Unknown said...

Warms me heart to see kids get as much enjoyment out of fictional maps as I do...