Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Plein-Air Painting in the 1920s

A silent black-and-white film from the 1920s (Link to YouTube) turned up in the basement of an art club.

At 2:03, it shows a group of well dressed men painting outdoors, using a variety of easels that were typical of the time.
Thanks, Stuart Fullerton and Robert Horvath.


Vladimir Venkov said...


Steve said...

Some painters still use easels similar to those in the film. Stapleton Kearns, especially, is a proponent of what is sometimes called a Gloucester easel. His recommended source is Take It Easel:

Viktoria Berg said...

Charming! They are all so dapper, but I´m thinking they must be Americans; Europeans rarely let their ties flap in the wind like that - we use tie pins and clips. ;-) Thanks for sharing!

Bobby La said...

Fingers in the acid...ahhh...simpler times.

Mind, when I studied etching in the mid seventies there was an ash tray in the acid room.

Regards Ross

Terry said...

I LOVE that this is on YouTube now. Wouldn't it be great to go back and tell those artists their movie would be on a medium where it could potentially be seen by hundreds of millions of people, literally at the touch of a key? Bet they'd be darned glad they dressed nicely, eh? Love the hats especially. And I am fascinated with how clean the etcher's hands and clothes are! If that was me I'd be head-to-toe ink.

Jim Serrett said...

Fascinating piece of video.
I had to see if I could find out any information on the artist E. G. Drew that was doing the demo.
Amazingly I found a great deal on him rather quickly. Art work and bios.
Elbert Granville Drew (1886 - 1934)
Elbert Granville Drew was active/lived in Illinois. Elbert Drew is known for landscape painting.
Always interesting, thanks Jim.