Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Painting at the Whiskey Basin

A small group came with me out to the Whiskey Basin to paint the fall color along Torrey Creek. I could only get a few video snapshots for you because I was teaching, too and I forgot my main camera bag.

I did have the new diffuser with me and it stood up to some pretty strong wind. I'll show you how to make one of those in a future video.

Here's the painting in casein, about 4 x 7 inches in my watercolor sketchbook. 

(Link to YouTube)


Katharine said...

Thanks so much for your videos! They are so inspiring and helpful. Forgive me for the off-topic question but, what is the music that starts playing at about the :50 mark in this video?

I appreciate your videos very much. Happy painting!

Tom Hart said...

Another keeper, James! It looks as if you might be using the casein a bit more impasto in places than you have in the past. At least the close ups (which are a nice touch) make it appear that way. I recall (I think) your earlier mention that casein is subject to cracking on flexible supports so I was struck by what appeared to be a thicker application this time.

I'm glad the bears kept their distance!

Fabio Porta said...

Another masterpiece!
I have a question about reflections (I might have forgot the previous post, uh)
I notice both in the camera shot and your painting they are noticeably darker than the original trees above. I take it as it's not a firm rule, like in this case with rippled water?

Andrew- said...

OMGosh, James,... you have such an uncanny ability to capture a photographic feeling, with your colors and values... something lost in other painters' works. Is there some way we can learn more about how to match those up for ourselves?

Question: how do you avoid having Casein dry & solidify in your brushes? Or is that not the problem I think it is? Do you prefer Casein over Gouache?


James Gurney said...

Fabio, yes, reflections of light objects on water are darker than the objects being reflected. Here's the first of three posts about that topic:

James Gurney said...

Andrew, thanks. Getting values right is the most important thing in landscape, and I struggle with it the most to try to get it right. To keep casein from solidifying in the brushes, I put them when I'm not using them into a tupperware basin that's got about an inch of water in the bottom.

James Gurney said...

Tom, yes, the impastos are a bit thicker, but they look a lot thicker in the closeups. I haven't had any problems with cracking on the thicker paper.

James Gurney said...

Katharine, that music is by Kevin MacLeod. Check out his free soundtrack music at