Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Hills above Clonmel

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, everyone! 


Here's a little plein air painting that I did in County Tipperary, Ireland in 2004.

On that trip I didn't rent a car; I just bummed rides. I had all my painting gear in one backpack and all my other gear in a suitcase. I wandered on foot each day alone in search of a motif while my son Dan was in town studying Irish music and prepping for the Fleadh Cheoil.

This day I walked up a hill road until I found a break in the hedgerow and a place with a big view. I could look way down into the valley and almost hear the fever of the jigs and reels, while the silent sea of heaven rolled overhead.

9 comments:

Glenn Keelan said...

Happy St. Patrick's day James! Beautiful painting of Tipp! I was there many times. Today my whole family are back in Dublin celebrating without me so i'm celebrating over here in Berlin, Germany!

Have a great day and enjoy an oul stout on me!
Glenn :)

Beth said...

Lovely painting! I like the story too. Happy St. Patrick's day.

Anonymous said...

The painting is pulchritudinous! I love it! And I love your son's music... I'm quite a bit Irish and used to Irish dance - the music still infatuates me!

Keith Parker said...

Sounds like you had a nice little adventure. Hope you have a great St. Pattie's day.

Billy Guffey said...

"while the silent sea of heaven rolled overhead."

Beautiful, as is the painting. Thanks.

jytte said...

What a beautiful painting. Your son is a very good musician. :o)

Kirk Witmer said...

Your painting brings back memories of my trip there in '05. But even better, Dan's accordion playin' had me grabbin' up me bodhran and start bangin' away! Ah..that's some grand craic that is!!

margplum said...

Underpainting, or a la prima?

James Gurney said...

Marg: a la prima.