Friday, March 2, 2012

Zugel Dog Drawing

Even if you let a sleeping dog lie, you’re lucky if you get 15 minutes on one pose before it shifts to another.

That makes Heinrich von Zugel’s pencil study is especially impressive. Note the planar breakdown of form in the shoulder, which almost looks like a cube. His form analysis is based on a deep knowledge of anatomy, as he was a professor of animal painting at the academy in Munich.
------
Teachers: You might still be able to sign up for the educator's workshop that I'll be giving this Saturday at the Woodson Art Museum in Wausau, Wisconsin from 10-11:30 AM. The event is part of the Dinotopia exhibition, which will be going on through April 7. 

3 comments:

Rita - juegos de vestir said...

which is good .... I always wanted to perfect my technique of shading with the pencil ... never paint my pictures .. Always leave a graphite well to make them look more natural ... truth is not paint and I like when they have more color ...
very good post ..
regards

mrussoart said...

I completely dig the graphite shading on the dog. Zügel = master with pencil, master with brush.

Ribert - juegos gratis said...

I love the art ... the drawing is amazing, good post!