Friday, April 21, 2023

Children's Book Art in Massachusetts

Garth Williams (1912-1996) Cover Study, Crayon and ink on paper, From: I Like Everything

The Berkshire Museum in Pittsfield is hosting an exhibition of children's book illustration that includes over 140 original works, including art by Beatrix Potter, Garth Williams, Maurice Sendak, and Dr. Seuss.

The show has a number of gouache originals created for the Little Golden Books series. 

Feodor Rojankovsky (1891-1970), The Nursemaid, 1949,
Gouache on board From: Big Elephant by Kathryn Jackson

When he was interviewed about how he got started, Feodor Rojanskovky recalled a moment in his childhood when, "I was taken to the zoo and saw the most marvelous creatures on earth...and while my admiration was running high, I was given a set of crayons."


There are many other illustrators represented, including Rosemary Wells, Richard Scarry, Chris Van Allsburg, Hilary Knight, David Shannon, and Dennis Nolan. Some of the characters of literature represented include Babar, Eloise, Madeline, the Cat in the Hat and Dick & Jane. 

The exhibition "Childhood Classics" will be on view through April 30, 2023 at the Berkshire Museum, which is located in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.

6 comments:

Dan Sharp said...

A 1987 Van Allsburg show here in Grand Rapids was my all time favorite art exhibit.

Lynnwood said...

I'm 72,and I read to my kids many of the same books my parents read to me! I would love to see that show..you just named a handful of my favorite artists!One of my favorite Golden Books was called "Daddies".It began,"What do daddies do all day? Daddies work while children play!" ,then ,in rhyme,described various jobs,from stevedore to policeman.I remember an artist and a writer were included.The writer was a somewhat disheveled man at a typewriter with a desk and wastebasket overflowing with crumpled sheets of paper ๐Ÿ˜‚
The artist was Tibor Gergely.His pictures, especially the colors just evoke the happiness of my childhood so strongly.

Lynnwood said...

I'm 72,and read to my kids many of the same books my parents read to me.You just named a handful of my favorite artists!One of my favoriteswas called "Daddies" and it began,"What do daddies do all day? Daddies work while children play!" Then described in rhyme,various jobs from stevedore to policeman.I remember there was an artist and a writer.The writer was a somewhat disheveled man at a typewriter and a desk and wastebasket overflowing with crumpled sheets of paper ๐Ÿ˜‚ The artist was Tibor Gergely and his images and colors so strongly evoke my happy childhood.I was so very lucky.

Lynnwood said...

Oops

Grudnick said...

This a Great collection, saw "Chilhood Favorites" at the Washington County Museum of Fine in Maryland Arts.

Grudnick said...

We saw "Chilhood Favorites" at Washington County Museum of Fine Arts, Hagerstown, MD. .