Friday, April 14, 2023

'How Did You Get Started?'


Arthur Denison helps a young Giganotosaurus with a stuck foot, 
oil illustration from Dinotopia: The World Beneath.

An editor of Ranger Rick Magazine asked: "Were you crazy about dinosaurs as a kid and did you read every book in the library? Or how did you get interested in this realm?

Me: When I was about six, I saw dinosaur skeletons in a museum, but no one really explained to me that dinosaurs were real animals. I somehow thought that dinosaurs were skeletons. When I learned that people dug these bones out of the ground, I went out in my front yard and started digging with my Tonka trucks. No one could convince me that I wouldn’t find them. I was also interested in archaeology, based on my perusal of old copies of National Geographic that occupied a shelf outside my bedroom door.

Ranger Rick: Did you take lots of art classes as a kid? And then did you go to art school or what's your educational background in the art field?

Me: I had a couple of encouraging art teachers, but most of what I learned was on my own. I set up a copy stand in my bedroom and made animated films in high school. I sketched the family dog and my parents, especially when they were asleep in front of the TV. In college I majored in archaeology, not art. After graduating college, I did go to art school for a short time. I quickly learned that they weren’t teaching what I wanted to learn: things like caricature, animal anatomy, architectural drawing, and storytelling illustration. My heroes were artists who died before I was born, so I searched for copies of old art instruction books from before 1920 or so, and that’s where I developed my way of making pictures.


4 comments:

Bob said...

Arthur surely was brave to help this young (yet quite formidable) Giganotosaurus! This could only happen in Dinotopia.

TommyD said...

Thank you for sharing this short dialogue - good stuff.

Mateus Falk said...

I never know you majored in archaeology, thats amazing.

GABRIEL said...

I always thought to myself: "how lucky was this guy that he got to study art back when they would teach it right, and got to know all of these amazing artists... meanwhile I am here having to walk a lonesome path". I never Imagined that you were in a similar situation that I am in.
Thank you for your teachings, incredible artworks, and years of sharing with young artists incredible artists and techniques that were not given to you when you went to study art.

I hope I am not taking something light and turning it into something cheesy.