Sunday, November 2, 2008

North Africa Trek

Today I’m leaving for a month-long sketching expedition to North Africa. My traveling companion is the writer/adventurer Alan Dean Foster. I first got to know Alan over 20 years ago when I painted covers for his science fiction novels. Later he wrote two novels in the Dinotopia universe.

Over the years Alan has sent me postcards from places like Timbuktu, Pitcairn Island, Great Barrier Reef, Papua New Guinea (above) and Oouagadougou. This time I’m thrilled to be joining him. I’ll be researching a couple of different projects and sketching in watercolor and gouache. We’re going first to Malta, and then Tunisia and Morocco.

I’m leaving the laptop home with my wife Jeanette, who will be posting regularly to the blog, using content that I worked up in advance. Maybe she will share a few of her own sketches. If I can figure out the tech, I’ll try to send home some pictures from Internet cafes along the way before returning on November 26.

19 comments:

Patrick Dizon said...

Man...I would love to travel the world someday and just sketch, sketch, sketch.

Take care, sir!

dragonladych said...

That sounds like a wonderful project! Can't wait to see the results.

And yes, please, Jeanette, show us some of your sketches! I really enjoyed seeing some here a while ago!

innisart said...

Have a wonderful trip!

Erik Bongers said...

Have a nice journey Mr. Gurney.
Do inform us which colonies you have established.

Brian said...

Have a safe trip.

Michelle Johnson said...

Oooh! That sounds fun. Have a safe and wonderful trip!

J M said...

wishing you a very happy (and productive) trip,

Anonymous said...

Wow, that´s great! One day I´ll do that too! But for now, I am "spiritually" with you on your journey. 8)

I wish you a lot of fun, splendid weather to enjoy, nice meetings to behold, exciting places to visit, tons of new sketches to draw...and I recommend to have a lot of coca cola (or something equivalent) with you, just in case. ;)

Cheers

Álandiras

arecol said...

Jeannette Bonjour
Ferez-vous des croquis de chevaux
s'il vous plait
merci

Beth said...

Wow, that is *so* cool! I hope you have a great time.

Beth

Randall Ensley said...

Good Luck on your journey.

Victor said...

I'm curious as to how you fund your various excursions. Are you getting paid for your Africa trip or are all expenses coming out of your own pocket?

Either way, have a great time!

Terry Daniels said...

Safe journey and good atmosphere. We look forward to the results!

Jeanette Jobson said...

Now that will be an adventure. I'll be watching to see what delights come out of your trip. Stay safe.

Nathalie said...

Have a safe and inspiring trip!
And I second everyone else who posted they would love to see more of Jeanette's work. ^_^

Unknown said...

What? I feel like you just stepped into one of your books. Can't wait to see the artistic results of this.

David said...

That's wonderful! I recently returned from east africa and filled several sketches. I'm green with envy- Have a great time. If you get a chance tell me what you think of my African Diaries as I am a big fan of your work.
http://www.dgderrick.com/journal

Jen Z said...

Oh wonderful - I hope you have a safe and exciting trip! Take care and hello to Jeanette, please do fill in on the Gurney journey, since you're one too. :D

- Paul Hastings said...

Rock on dude, we'll be looking forward to some great African sketches.