Thursday, January 15, 2009

Art By Committee: Keep an Eye Out

Many of you have asked that we bring back the group sketch game called "Art By Committee," which was in hiatus during a busy fall and winter.


For those new to the game, the way it works is that I share an actual excerpt from a science fiction manuscript and you come up with a way to visualize it. To view previous games, follow this link.

The quote this time is “I should stay here and keep an eye out.”


To make the game easier on all of us, Andy W suggested that we make it once a month instead of once a week. (Check out Andy's blog "Panel Discussion," where he offers his new Eclectic Comics, where he has published work that he's done for Art By Committee.)

And Dave H suggested that to save bandwidth you put the contest entries on a photo filesharing setup like Photobucket, and I can link to your entry from the blog post. Maybe in the comments one of you can explain better how this should work.

So let's try it! Please send me either a link to your full-size file and a JPG of 200 pixels across and please compress it as much as possible. Title it with your name, email it to: jgurneyart(at)yahoo.com, subject line ABC, and let me know in your email the full URL of the link to your blog or website if you have one (even if you gave it to me before). Please have your entries in by Thursday the 12th of February at 10:00 AM Eastern Time USA, and I’ll put them up on the 15th.

9 comments:

Susan Adsett said...

Awesome, I'm so glad this is back - and the one month deadline makes it easier to play along too!

Illustration Friday (http://www.illustrationfriday.com) uses links and thumbnails for their submissions- we could probably use the same format.

Random York said...

Once a week was good...once a month is better! Thank again Jim!

Unknown said...

I am overjoyed!

Good idea, Dave. Another file sharing site is Flickr. I save space on my own blog by hosting them at Flickr. Then, adding images to a post, you can insert the location of the image on the right, rather than upload the image to the site, on the left.

Hannah JS Davis said...

Awesome, I'm so glad to see this return :)
Thankfully I can just host it on my website.

Roberta said...

great! Once a month is perfect!

Rob Hummer said...

Alright! Happy to see ABC back. Thanks James, and, as always thanks for the blog in general.
A daily stop that never ceases to educate and inspire.

Jen Z said...

Super! I liked the spontaneity of the short-deadline ABCs, (because of the nature of the original one) but knowing the typical artist persona, most of us will wait til the 10th or 11th before we remember there was something we forgot, and then it'll be like the old one again :} Just with more participants. :] And thoroughly awesome artwork from the non-procrastinators. But I digress... t'is a happy revelation!

Ellen said...

I saw this on FB and cannot wait to participate! I contribute to Illustration Friday (my 5th year) and need another challenge to round out my calendar! Thanks for bringing it back!

Amy C. Moreno said...

I'm so glad to have found your blog. Thanks for providing a challenge like this. I'm looking forward to taking part in it. I blogged and facebooked it.