Monday, July 27, 2009

Woodstock 1: Sheep Skulls

The first day at the Woodstock School of Art's creature design class was great fun. We had a congenial and talented group of people who came from as far away as Michigan!

The Woodstock school itself has a great tradition leading back to the 1930s, when it was a summer school for Art Student's League instructors, so I was thrilled to be there.

We started off looking at the history of how Pans and satyrs have been portrayed from Greek and Roman days all the way to modern movies and video games. We had a snack of goat cheese and crackers to get us in the mood (thanks, Jeanette!)

Then I brought in five skulls of deer and rams, so we could really study out the anatomy and the variety of horns. I'm holding Flynn, a ram I used to sketch from life years ago when he lived on the farm of a good friend.


We all did thumbnail sketches of a variety of character and compositional ideas, and then tried to "flesh them out" with studies from life.


One of the things I tried to do was to morph the ram's skull with a human skull to see what it looks like. Hmmm...a little scary...got to work on that.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think the bottom image is pretty cool :) It reminds me of a character in a Guillermo del Toro film

(edit; put Benicio in there the first time XP wrong guy!)

Eric Braddock said...

Scary indeed! But very cool nonetheless. I think it's scarier that your sheep skull has a name ;) haha

I guess it's the idea that it's the skull of a sheep you knew of while he was still alive. Almost similar to a pet I suppose.

Either way, that looks really cool. Looking forward to seeing Woodstock 2!

Sarah Stevenson said...

How cool! I'm very jealous. It sounds like a fascinating class and a great, very classical way to draw mythological part-human creatures. Enjoy!