Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Howard Pyle: Crux of Instruction

If you like the American illustrator Howard Pyle and you’re looking for something to listen to while you paint, you might enjoy this reading I did years ago about Howard Pyle as a teacher. 



  Howard Pyle: The Crux of Instruction by James Gurney

I’d give anything to have been a fly on the wall of his summer school, as long as N.C. Wyeth wasn't walking around with a fly swatter.
-------
Direct link to Soundcloud file
The Brandywine Tradition by Henry Pitz on Amazon
The exhibition Howard Pyle: An American Master Rediscovered will open November 12, 2011 at the Delaware Art Museum
Image of Pyle from the Howard Pyle Blog by Ian Schoenherr

8 comments:

M.A. said...

This was wonderful to listen to. Thanks!

Nick said...

Thanks a ton for this! Makes me appreciate Pyle even more.

K. Ortiz said...

thank you so much James! It was a lovely listen.

EZ Goodnight said...

Excellent, excellent, excellent. I think I need to read the source material.

Dan Berger said...

inspiring !!!

My Pen Name said...

Time tostart the Gurney Podcast :)

Omar "OX" Rodriguez said...

Listening to your reading from this book is inspiring and I acquired more knowledge- thanks.

Unknown said...

Listening to it right now, while working! Thanks for posting!!!