Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Keyhole Arch Light Effect


Photographers wait all year for the conditions to be right to shoot this mystical light effect at Pfeiffer Beach, California.

According to the Mail Online, "it occurs in the weeks surrounding winter solstice when the sun sets directly behind the arch. The tide must also be high enough for the light to reflect off its surface. The sky must also be clear on the horizon. Some photographers maintain it must be captured at a 35 degree angle for the perfect shot."

6 comments:

karlsimon said...

looks like somebody already took it :p

LM said...

I've been there! Didn't even know what I was walking into, there were perhaps 20 photographers set up at sunset over thanksgiving last year. Got a ton of gorgeous shots of the sun coming through the arch, backlighting waterspray from the waves. :)

RobNonStop said...

I know what you mean LM. It’s strange when you see these majestic views on a photograph and then when you are there you’re among dozens of photographers taking the same picture.

I had a similar experience at Asian ruins that seem deserted on pictures but are crowded most hours of the day. Now when I look at the same pictures I can’t help but feel the presence of others standing next to me.

Wolf Lahti said...

Let's be sure to do things exactly the same way others have and then call it art!

Scorchfield said...

It's hard to say hello!

Russell Dickerson said...

It reminds me a bit of Thomas Cole's "Expulsion - Moon and FIrelight" painting (http://www.darkstormcreative.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/cole_expulsion.jpg). It's a nice effect, though I'm not sure I'd want to be taking photos so close to all the others.