Sunday, September 15, 2013

Submersible Maquette

Reference maquettes don't have to be made from Sculpey. Any materials that you've got in the studio or workshop can come in handy (which is a good excuse for being a lateral thinker and a packrat).

I constructed this very rough maquette for Arthur Denison's submersible using cardboard for the body profile and a clear plastic egg shape, which I filled with kit-bashed plastic model parts. The long gray pieces came from a model railroad supply store.

As you can see, I didn't follow the maquette closely at all, but it was really valuable for imagining Arthur Denison's submersible. I also referenced reconstructions of Bushnell's Turtle, a Revolutionary-era ancestor of submarines.

Combined with a kronosaur maquette that I had on hand, along with underwater photos of whales, I felt more sure of myself when I tackled a more difficult scene like this one, from Dinotopia: The World Beneath. 


Keith Parker said...

Were you tempted to submerse it?

David J. Teter said...

Very cool James, reminds me of a submarine for the bath tub I had as a kid.
I had to look up kit-bashed, makes sense, its right up your alley, now I know.
An artist/sculptor worth checking out, I saw a show of his at the Oceanside Museum of Art, is John Taylor.
He use cast-off computer parts among other things to create (folk art)ships. You would probably enjoy these.

Katie Small said...

It's posts like these that justify my need to keep my labeled boxes of odds and ends haha

I'm excited to try making up a few rough models and such for my next piece! :D I think it will really help me in my trouble area of believable lighting in my backgrounds.

Keith Parker said...

Katie!!! You finally posted. Congrats on the contest btw.