Wednesday, November 13, 2013

James Bagwell at a rehearsal

I've done a lot of previous posts about sketching in concerts. Usually the problem is how to work in the dark without bobbing your head or making unnecessary motions that might distract audience members around you. 

James Bagwell conducts Franz Schubert Mass #6, D. 950, Bard Symphonic Chorus
But if you sketch in a rehearsal, you're a lot more free. You are usually sitting by yourself. As long as you don't make any noise, no one cares if you're painting.

I did this sketch last night from the second row in Olin Auditorium of Bard College, Annandale, New York. The house lights were up so I could really see what I was doing. The technique is a mix of water-soluble colored pencils, watercolor, and casein.

James Bagwell was in constant motion of course, so I had to try to freeze the pose in my short term memory. The final concert will be December 18 at the Fisher Center, Sosnoff Theater.
-----
Previous posts on concert sketching:
Gouache portrait of an Irish whistle player
Sketching a vocal concert  
Violinist in ink wash
Horn Player
Mirko Listening
Club Passim Gig
Shapewelding Sketching 
The Cello and the Pencil
Concertgoer
Mass in C
Handel's Messiah

3 comments:

Steve said...

Love the hands, the reflected light along the torso and underside of the arm, the highlight at the top of the ear.

Tom Hart said...

Steve beat me to those compliments :^).

I also love the suggestion of the head in the lower right. A great example of "less is more".

Kate said...

Steve and Tom beat me :o)

I so admire you for being able to 'freeze' movement so well. I need to practice more.