Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Kristaps Porziņģis, NBA Star

Kristaps Porziņģis was on an All-Star track and putting up good numbers for the New York Knicks when I painted him, but then he got sidelined with a season-ending torn ACL knee injury. Now he’s on the path to recovery.

Kristaps Porziņģis, gouache, 5 x 8 inches

I approached this painting as an alla-prima (painted all in one session), combining sketches, memory, and photo reference. I focused on KP's characteristic relaxed and confident expression, even in pressure situations. 


As you can see in the time lapse, a portrait is made up of a thousand corrections and adjustments. I find I have to maintain a spirit of constructive dissatisfaction, always thinking of what's wrong, why it's wrong, and how I can fix it. 
----

5 comments:

Jayson said...

That is a fantastic painting!

Peter Drubetskoy said...

Absolutely masterful! You conveyed exactly what you set out to do.

Unknown said...

Great sketch, thanks for posting!
The pose reminds me of Guido Reni's Atalanta and Hippomenes:
http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/2012/10/05/the-art-of-guido-reni-1575-1642/

Unknown said...

I also think it is fantastic but I keep seeing you use gouache as compared to casein. Is there a reason?

Steve said...

I like the term “constructive dissatisfaction.” Also like the primary colors behind the head, hand, and along the arm.