Monday, February 25, 2019

Baroque Violinist

Edwin Huizinga is a violinist for Baroque string ensemble “Acronym.” 

Sitting in the third row,  I want to capture some of his lively postures with a fountain pen and a Niji water brush filled with brown-black ink.


Previously posts about sketching at concerts:
James Bagwell Conducts
Maestro Bagwell
James Bagwell at a Rehearsal
The "Flash-Glance" Method
Gouache portrait of an Irish whistle player
Sketching a vocal concert
Violinist in ink wash
Horn Player
Mirko Listening
Club Passim Gig
Shapewelding Sketching
The Cello and the Pencil
Concertgoer
Mass in C
Handel's Messiah


2 comments:

Henry Buerckholtz said...

Drawing Etiquette
You have posted before about drawing at a performance.
Do you think your concentration on drawing and the physical movements involved, create a distraction to other audience members there to enjoy the artistry of the performance?
I have always sat in the back row to draw.
Henry Buerckholtz
I check your blog every day and enjoy it immensely. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and knowledge.

James Gurney said...

Henry, I'm very aware of that issue, especially in a classical performance, so I never use materials that have an odor or make a noise, and I don't move my head at all. I also have my materials out in my left hand before the music starts so that there's no fishing in the bag. In this case I was sitting quite a few rows in front of anyone else, and the people behind me could not even see that I was sketching. In the past, the only time anyone has remarked that they noticed me sketching have thanked me and said they enjoyed watching.

All that said, there are some orchestras that have special days just for artists, and I think that's an idea that classical groups might do to help generate marketing images and attract younger people. The other thought is that if you run a sketch group, you can invite classical musicians to practice in your space. They've got to practice anyway, and it's a good chance for sharing.