Friday, September 11, 2020

Sunday YouTube Premiere

What happens when you use secondary colors (orange, violet, and green) as primaries? I set up in front of an abandoned house to find out.

Then something amazing happens! The guy who grew up in the house randomly stops by to share his memories. 

Don't miss the free YouTube premiere (with live Q and A) on September 13 at noon, California time. Here's the link. It's all part of my next painting tutorial TRIADS, which releases tomorrow, Saturday, September 12. You don't have to join LightBox Expo to watch, but I recommend it because LBX a good virtual hub for a lot of artistic activity this weekend. 

5 comments:

Virginia Fhinn said...

Super excited for this!!!!

D.K. Vosburgh said...

Very cool. You’re in good company, James... as you probably know, the orange/green/violet triad was the basis of Emile Gruppé’s approach to color as well... he got it from John Follinsbee, who brought it back from Paris just before the First World War.

James Fay said...

The Q&A You did was easily a highlight of Lightbox for me. Is there any recording of it that I could look back over? I'm in an Intermedia Studies class and am hoping to make a Zine for my class about the workshop!
It seemed like doing the sessions through Lightbox allowed a lot of freedom to go over the allotted time, which really showed how passionate you are about teaching.
Much appreciated!

Unknown said...

Mr. Gurney,

My Name is Griffin, and this is actually my Fiancée's family house. Her father (Jimmy), my Fiancée and I were the ones who stopped by when you were painting this. As the house has been sold, and is no longer in the family, I would like to speak with you about possibly purchasing at least a copy of the painting so we can cherish it in our family for future generations. We found the video of the day on youtube, and we were brought to tears because you made the house feel like a person, and really hit home with the poem at the end.

My email is griffinlevy06@gmail.com if you are open to chat.

It would mean the world for us to be able to hang this photo in our house as we begin a new life together.

Thank you for your time!!

Griffin

James Gurney said...

Hi, Griffin,
Thanks so much for reaching out. I'll email you about getting you and your family copies of the painting.
JG