Friday, August 29, 2008

Dean Sketch

In honor of this season of speeches and campaigns, here's an on-the-spot sketch from five years ago at a Howard Dean rally.

Jeanette and I were driving through Hudson, New York on September 20, 2003 when we saw huge crowds down by the river. We parked the car and got as close as we could. I was hoping to do a portrait, but I was too far back, so I drew the audience instead.

Dean is just a light dot with a necktie to the right-hand side of the gazebo. After his speech as he was leaving the venue he stopped and signed the sketch.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great sketch! American politics are so exciting, the history of it and the pageantry. I love that this sketch could almost have been done 100 years ago.

Super Villain said...

who is gurney voting for president?

obama for me! obama all the way!

Susan Carlin said...

How cool is that!

Terry Daniels said...

I'm no fan of Howard Dean or his party (or any party, really) but that is really cool that he signed it. Beats the heck out of a publicity headshot!