Saturday, March 5, 2011

Meanwhile, somewhere in the Pacific Ocean....

I’ve been hearing this a lot: “Dear James, I placed an order for Color and Light a month ago from an online seller. They told me they tried to procure it from other sources, including distributors and bookstores. Unfortunately, they were unable to do so and have cancelled my order."

 
If you are having a hard time getting a copy of Color and Light or Imaginative Realism, here’s why. The demand for both books has been so overwhelming that the supply ran out at the warehouse before the publisher expected.

Never fear: a few days ago, reprints of both books were loaded onto a ship in Hong Kong and they’re now in transit.

Unfortunately it’s the proverbial Slow Boat from China. The publisher told me yesterday that the shipment is expected to arrive at the U.S. distribution warehouse on April 4 (assuming the ship doesn’t get held up by art pirates). So those books won’t make it into your hands for at least a month. If you’re the patient type, don't worry, hang in there.

Alternately, at our little mail order store at The Dinotopia Store we have a good supply of both books, enough to hold out through this month, I hope. If your big online retailer hasn’t already shipped, U.S. customers can cancel their order and get the book directly from us instead. For the month of March, I’ll reward your patience by signing each book and doing an original rainbow sketch in each copy. Limit one of each book per customer, please.

Sorry, I can’t ship overseas due to all the hassles with high shipping costs, currency conversions, customs forms, and losses.  If you are an international customer, may I suggest that you have an American Facebook friend place the order for you in the USA, and then you can arrange to have them send the book to you. People have done that before and they get a book and a friend.
-------
Previously
Meanwhile, At the Printer
Painted Rainbows Video
Book Trailer Contest
Special Delivery Video (showing how we do our orders)

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know why they didn't print more copies. I thought your other book was the most popular art book on Amazon. Silly publishing company!

Ray Bonilla said...

Thank you for the explanation Mr.Gurney.I'll be canceling my order and purchasing the book at your store ass soon as possible.

WM said...

I ordered my copies from Amazon, and as we know now they don't have any. I cancelled that order a couple of weeks ago and luckily I turned right around and found both books via other Amazon sellers. Both in hand as we speak and are being devoured! James, I am an aviation artist and our goals are the same - to create scenes the elements of which which don't necessarily exist before our eyes. Your books complement each other and are of immeasureable value for representational artists, no matter what one is trying to 'represent' on canvas ... I have been spreading the word! Those who are caught waiting for your books, relax. Your wait will be richly rewarded!

Deborah Paris said...

Just cancelled

mirana said...

The store link is http://dinotopia.com/dinotopia-store.html

Ulrike Miesen-Schürmann said...

Oh, that's a way to sweeten the time of waiting for your book. O:-) I've ordered it via amazon.de and it should not arrive before the beginning of April.

desembrey said...

Congratulations on creating such a successful book James.

Anonymous said...

...I have "Color and Light" on request for an inter-library loan at my college. I hope they'll be able to find one soon, but it might take a while.

Once I get some extra money I will likely purchase a copy, however! I loved your last book "Imaginative Realism" when I finally got to read it. Funny thing: it was another inter-library loan request at my local library and they ended buying TWO copies!

Celeste Bergin said...

I have both of your books---and they are as fantastic (as everyone told me they would be)...just wanted to drop by and say WOW! I think they are far and away the most comprehensive books on color and light on the market today. Thanks so much for working so hard on them (and this blog), your dedication to sharing what you've learned certainly benefits all of us! :)

Celeste Bergin said...

p.s. Totally worth the wait, everybody!

Mario said...

"Color and Light" was available for a very short time on Amazon.it, and then suddenly disappeared again. But I was super-fast, and it's now in my hands... :)

SVSART said...

I'm gonna need a second copy now.....I've got to get a Rainbow Sketch! Too Cute.

Anonymous said...

Wow! The books are that popular?

I was lucky to find a new copy of Imaginative Realism at a discount over at Strand Books in NYC. Ever been there? That's a cool bookstore that has 18 miles of new, used, and hard-to-find stuff.

Anyway, congratz on the book being a big seller, James. That's going to mean an avalanche of royalties for you.

Lester Yocum said...

Sounds like a wonderful problem to have, doesn't it?

I canceled my online order and will be ordering from you, James. Looks like I'd better get it in quickly!

Ken said...

Sorry to ask here, I'd sent an email but I'm sure it was lost in the avalanche of messages you must receive Mr. Gurney.

Will Color and Light be translated into Japanese as well? I'll be travelling over there next year, and I've some Japanese illustrator friends whom I'd love to buy both sets of books for.

Thank you, sorry for asking here as well.

James Gurney said...

Thanks, everybody. Ken, as far as I know, only "Imaginative Realism" is in the works for Japan. I'll announce it on the blog if "Color and Light" makes the translation, too.

Moose said...

I just finished your book Color and Light- FANTASTIC! I got a lot out of it and have been recommending it to friends. I was one of those people who tried to get your other book but couldn't. Coincidentally, I also ordered an Easel that I'm told is coming from China... and won't arrive until April 4. Perhaps my Easel and your book are on the same boat?

Unknown said...

I feel so special now! I had Imaginative Realism on my Amazon wishlist, and it arrived on time as a birthday gift 10 days ago :)

Ken said...

Ahh, well thanks very much for responding Mr. Gurney! Appreciate it.

A Ro said...

I am canceling my order from amazon and ordering from you now! This is too good to pass up! I am very excited to finally get the chance to read this! I just got Imaginative Realism and am working on reading it.