Sunday, July 10, 2011

Comics in the Classroom Workshop

Veteran schoolteacher Andy Wales uses comics in the classroom, and he also he teaches young teachers how to use them. The Sunday funnies was the textbook for his most recent workshop at Alfred University.


Among the teaching techniques he recommends:
1. Comic Book Readers Theater. Reading a comic together as a dramatic exercise.
2. Comic Book Book Reports. Using comics to help students summarize what they have read.
3. Using comics to teach onomatopoeia, alliteration and hyperbole.
MORE AT THESE LINKS
More at Andy’s Blog “Panel Discussion”
Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
Cartoons and Comics in the Classroom: A Reference
Teaching Visual Literacy in the Primary Classroom: Comic Books, Film, Television and Picture Narratives
Cartoons and Comics in the Classroom: A Reference Guide for Teachers and LibrariesCartoons and Comics in the Classroom: A Reference Guide for Teachers and Libraries

4 comments:

Roberto said...

My High School English teecher caut me drawing a karycature of her insted of my claswork, so she gave me the assinment to do a narative grafic comic-strip for my final.
It was the only reason I passed her class.
You can thank her for my horrable spelling and grammer, I shuld have payd more attention to her lectures.-RQ

draigstudio said...

I have taught comics for the past 7 years and I love every minute of it.

Unknown said...

Wow, thanks for the link! I have done this workshop about ten time, and I think this one was the best ever. Very great bunch of young teachers.

CraftyAndy said...

well being a Idiot I had to look up those words (onomatopoeia hyperbole). That is pretty awesome, I never got any real exposure to or even considered making comics until later years. I remember I was 19 when I bought my first batch. Nice to see students getting exposure early on in the classroom, it has really been a unappreciated medium for far too long.