Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Great Hudson River Exhibition

An exhibition of landscape painting by fifty-two artists opens this Saturday, July 9 in Beacon, New York in a new exhibit space along the Hudson River. It’s called "The Great Hudson River Exhibition."

 
My painting, The Clove from Haines Falls will be part of the exhibition. This oil-on-linen painting was used on the cover of American Artist in November, 2006. It was also published in my book Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter as part of a discussion on color gradation.

The view is from the top of Haines Falls, now part of a private community called Twilight Park, looking east across Kaaterskill Clove toward a misty sunrise. The Hudson River appears as a thin sliver of white in the distance.

I only offer a few paintings for sale per year, but I am making this major one available, because a large portion of the proceeds would benefit the Mill Street Loft, which helps young artists in Poughkeepsie. For more information about the painting, the exhibition, or about the opening event, please call Laurie Clark at the Mill Street Loft at 845.471.7477.


On the same day, starting at 1:00, there will also be a big Long Dock Park festival nearby, with free kayak paddling and a Hula Hoop contest. And the galleries in Beacon and the Dia Museum nearby will be open special hours because it's a Second Saturday celebration in Beacon.

Here’s more about the opening event, which Jeanette and I and many of the artists will be attending:

LINKS AND INFO
The Great Hudson River Exhibition at the new River Center exhibition space
Red Flynn Road @Long Dock Park on the Beacon Waterfront in New York State.
Beacon is about 70 miles north of New York City.
Show opening at Saturday, July 9, 4:00-6:00pm.
The show will remain on view through Sunday, September 4th. 845.471.7477,

Exhibition Facebook page
James Gurney Original Art Blog
Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
Long Dock Park Festival

4 comments:

Scorchfield said...

First time I have not seen better, I lost my glasses, it is Lost (pictures) :)

Aaron said...

It reminds me of a painting by Homer Dodge Martin, who was a Hudson School artist. The name of the painting is escaping me at the moment though. I think it was called King of the Hudson, or something similar to that.

Cindy Skillman said...

I loved that picture in your book and I LOVED the book. I have stacks and stacks of art books. If I could keep only one, that would be the one. Thanks for writing it.

RobertA.rtistEckes said...

Great painting Jim! Unfortunately I missed the opportunity to enter a piece into that show.
I will hopefully make it to the open...on account of a group of artist colleagues I would enjoy seeing and chatting with...including you.
See you there...
Robert Eckes
Hudsonvalleypaintings.com